Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Miserable Career Vs Living Simply

I was recently talking to a relative who was exhausted from her career job of being a middle school teacher. Sure, the benefits were nice - summers off, health care, 401K, etc. But the stress levels weren't worth it for her, and overall, she wasn't enjoying her life.

As a teacher, I have also had times where the job wasn't worth it. I love teaching. However, teaching at a school often involves much more than just classroom time. There are report cards, parent-teacher meetings, after school activities, faculty meetings, department meetings, unit planning, early mornings and late nights. At one job specifically, my income was decent but I was generally miserable.

So what did my friend and I do to fix our problems? For my friend, she quit her job and got a simple retail job at a health food store. Now, she enjoys her life again, and she says she'll never go back to her miserable career, despite a significant income cut. For me, I became a part-time teacher at a different school. To supplement my income, I teach guitar on the side and perform when possible.

Life is too short, in my opinion, to be miserable every day. Granted, the benefits are less, but I can buy my own health insurance and 401k if necessary. Most people earn more so they can spend more on a huge house, a nice car and expensive meals. But this rat race can quickly become exhausting.

Exiting the rat race involves one important step: Live Simply.

Instead of needing an oversized mansion, look for a small, comfortable home. Instead of buying a brand new BMW, look for a small, reliable car and a bike. Instead of dining on steak and lobster at 5 star restaurants, learn how to cook simple, plant-based meals. All of these things cost less so you can work less, doing the things that you love to do!

1 comment:

  1. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you must watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete